Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Going to California- By Led Zeppelin

Listen to the song once before reading the post! please!

This is one song I have been listening to since quite long now. Every night I hear this song atleast 5 times before I sleep, and lately I just wanted to know what it meant.

Finally I come up with my own interpretation which may not make sense to you.

I am just giving it a shot!

The song goes -

Spent my days with a woman unkind, Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine.
Made up my mind to make a new start, Going To California with an aching in my heart.
Someone told me there's a girl out there with love in her eyes and flowers in her hair.
Took my chances on a big jet plane, never let them tell you that they're all the same.
The sea was red and the sky was grey, wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today.
The mountains and the canyons started to tremble and shake as the children of the sun began to awake.
Seems that the wrath of the Gods Got a punch on the nose and it started to flow;
I think I might be sinking.
Throw me a line if I reach it in time I'll meet you up there where the path Runs straight and high.
To find a queen without a king, They say she plays guitar and cries and sings... la la la
Ride a white mare in the footsteps of dawn Tryin' to find a woman who's never, never, never
been born.
Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams, Telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems.
Everytime I hear this song, I come up with a different meaning and I must say nobody except the group members of the band can tell what it meant.
"Spent my days ......... her eyes and flowers in her hair."
It starts by saying that he has a bad phase in life , he is depressed, he used every thing that could help him get out of it (smoked my stuff and drank all my wine) but it didnt really help ( it never does) . He decides to give his life a new start or rather god allows him to be reborn, to rise from the ashes like a phoneix and doesn't want to mess this chance, so he decides to start fresh.
He has been told by someone that there is place on the west (california) where he can achieve his destiny, where he will find what he was looking for, where he will do justice to his life.
"Took my chances on a big jet plane, never let them tell you that they're all the same."
So he takes a chance and moves to california , but he isn't told that the life there is similar to his previous life, its just that how perceive life to be makes the difference. Its mental , its psychological.
"The sea was red and the sky was grey, wondered how tomorrow could ever follow today."
Watching the sunset (sea was red and the sky was grey) , most likely, the euphoria of changing for the better, the fear of not knowing what could possibly happen next, chasing after something that doesn't exist, a happiness you have no reason to believe is there. But still he does, because now he is a changed man and he is determined to acheive what he desires.
"Mountains and canyons.......runs straight and high"
He suddenly experiences the same troubles in the new life, he suddenly finds himself in middle of nowhere again in his new life. His life is experiencing an earthquake. Everything is going haywire again.He is sinking again...

"To find a queen without a king, ................. Telling myself it's not as hard, hard, hard as it seems."
He suddenly realises what he was looking for doesn't really exist, a perfect life. A life with no sorrows, no pain, no disappointment.
He also realises that although it doesn't exist but a life can be made better by just changing the way you percieve things in life.
It's not as hard as it seems. Give it a shot.
P.S- This is what I think about it when I listen to before I sleep, though after searching of what it song actually means, I found that this song was dedicated to Joni Mitchell. Jimmy Page and Robert Plant were infatuated to Joni and It's said they wrote this song for her.
It's also said that in the live version of this song, they actually take her name after one of the line in the song.
This is just what I interpret, I would be willing to hear a totally different take on this.

No comments: